Recipe by Emjay99
For Dirk, with love.
Top Review by clairesgirl
Initially I was going to back away from this recipe due to the number of ingredients but then I read them again and realized that I had almost all items on hand. The recipe came together so quickly and easily, even with the number of ingredients you must add in. I also put in a quarter teaspoon of cinnamon because I love that combination with the oatmeal. Had to leave out coconut and nuts due to preference/allergies of those who would be eating the cookies,but will include them when I make again for home. Flavor was delightful, the almond extract is really a plus with the vanilla. My only problem and reason why the recipe did not receive 5 stars was in the actual baking, the cookies spread quite a bit, ended up very flat. Next time I will chill dough for a few hours and see if results differ. Very moist and a rich flavor, unlike many cookies of this type that tend to be dry or cakey. Definitely recommend, especially if you are an oatmeal/cranberry fan like I am!!!
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, wholewheat flour works just as well
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats, not instant
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened coconut, medium
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries, Ocean Spray Craisins
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds, lightly toasted
- 2⁄3 cup white chocolate chips, placed in freezer to harden this retains their shape in baking
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Cream together white and brown sugar, margarine, vanilla and almond extracts.
- Beat in egg.
- Mix in sifted flour, baking powder and soda, salt, oats and coconut until combined.
- Stir in dried cranberries, almonds and white chocolate chips.
- Drop slightly heaped tablespoons of dough on a sprayed SHINY baking sheet.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes depending on your oven. Should be evenly golden in colour.
- Remove to cooling rack.
- Freeze really well.