Recipe by Ms*Bindy
A little more sophisticated than the cookiewiches that my kids like. Store them in the freezer, and then put in the fridge as you sit down to dinner, and it will be thawed just right by desert time! (Cook time is time to bake ALL of the cookies)
- 1 cup Butter Flavor Crisco
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 apple, grated (or finely diced, not more than 1 cup)
- granulated sugar
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 4 -5 tablespoons Kahlua (more or less to taste)
- 1 (3 1/4 ounce) package vanilla instant pudding mix
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda. Set aside.
- Cream together the shortening, brown sugar, and granulated sugar.
- Add eggs and vanilla, mixing well.
- Stir in the flour mixture.
- Mix in the oats.
- Add in the nuts and apples. The dough will be fairly stiff, and may not 'hold together'. This is OK. As long as there is not dry oatmeal or flour, the mix is not too dry.
- Drop by large tablespoons onto greased cookie sheet. I use a double-dip of my small cookie scoop. I can fit 6 on a cookie sheet. I've found that they 'spread' more on airbake sheets, so I prefer regular dark cookie sheets with silpat liner.
- Using a fork, dipped in sugar, press the cookies down to about a 2 inch round size. You will want them to be uniform size and shape for later.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from cookie sheet and cool.
- To make the Kahlua Creme, whip the heavy cream and Kahlua to soft peaks.
- Add the vanilla pudding mix and continue to beat until creme is thick.
- Spread a good dollop of creme on the center of one of the cookies. Top with another cookie, and press gently until creme squished to edge of the cookies.
- You can either eat them like this, while the creme is soft. Or you can freeze them, and thaw partially before eating, giving it more of an ice-cream texture.