Chef #1289172's Note:
They are not as sweet as most oatmeal cookies I've had, which is a good thing. We could not stop eating them; especially my preschooler. They are excellent "nutritional supplements!" There is no sugar in this recipe however if you prefer sugar to honey--then simply alter the recipe....cut the baking soda to 1/4 tsp. and add an extra tablespoon of water. Your baking temperature should go to 350 if you are using sugar. When replacing sugar with honey you have to increase the baking soda to increase the acid and you reduce liquid by 1 Tablespoon. Also, with honey baking--lower the baking temp.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (a pinch more depending on the moisture of the mix)
- 1 1/2 cups oats
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon (I actually use about 3 Tbsp(got to love cinnamon)
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup oil, you can also use some applesauce to replace some of the oil if you wish (corn, grapeseed or olive)
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 egg (beat with 1 Tbsp Water)
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
- 1/2 cup walnuts (optional)
- 1In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients together.
- 2In a medium bowl, mix all the wet ingredients together. Hint: when measuring out the honey, spray the measuring cup with oil or baking spray--your honey won't stick).
- 3Mix the wet stuff with the dry stuff. Add the raisins and walnuts and mix. If the mixture seems too wet, add a bit of flour. If it isn't binding together very well, you may wish to add an egg white.
- 4COOL the mix for 20 minutes in the fridge.
- 5Preheat the oven to 335 degrees (lower temperature due to the honey in the recipe which will burn more easily).
- 6Drop by teaspoonfuls onto your baking sheet (I recommend lining the baking sheet with parchment paper). Press down with a fork to ensure even cooking.
- 7Bake for about 15 - 20 minutes or until golden on the bottom of the cookie. The cookies freeze very well and make a great snack! Enjoy.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oatmeal Cookies (Without the Sugar)
Serving Size: 1 (26 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 36
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 90.0
- Calories from Fat 33
- Total Fat 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 5.8 mg
- Sodium 57.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 1.7 g