Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
This recipe is a somewhat healthier variation of the standard.
- 1 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup flax seed
- 3 cups oats (old fashioned, rolled)
- 1 cup prune, chopped
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup chocolate chips
- Cream shortening and sugars until smooth.
- Add eggs and vanilla; beat well.
- Add flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and flax meal; blend well.
- Stir in oats, prunes, walnuts and chocolate chips.
- Bake 10-12 minutes.
This is a really great cookie with lots of healthy goodness in it. I used the prunes and actually prefer them over raisins in most oatmeal cookie recipes. I also used flax meal instead of flax seed. The Splenda in this has an aftertaste I don't care for. Those who are use to splenda probably would not notice or mind the taste. I will make these again, but use real sugar instead.
These cookies are very good! I only made a couple of changes...I substituted raisins for the prunes, and used regular sugar instead of Splenda. I like the healthy addition of flax seeds! A nice chewy and crunchy snack..Thanks Joya!