Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 10 mins
My late neighbour; Anne Shuttleworth gave me this recipe in 1988. She said it was her old "stand-by". It always turned out perfect and everyone enjoyed it.
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon melted butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 1⁄2 cup long strand coconut
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped fine
- Grease 9x9" or 10x10" square baking pan.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix oatmeal with boiling water, and place in fridge to cool.
- Beat together butter/margarine, white sugar, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla.
- Add in flour, baking soda and spices, beat well.
- Fold in oatmeal mixture.
- Bake for 50 minutes.
- Combine butter/margarine, brown sugar, egg and milk, mix well.
- Fold in coconut and walnuts till mixed well.
- This mixture will be runny.
- After the 50 minutes, spread topping evenly on cake and bake another 10 minutes at 350°F.