Recipe by Tish
This was originally Maple Oatmeal Bread tweeked with some hot brewed coffee. I got the idea from TOH. It turns a pretty golden brown.
- 1 cup hot brewed coffee
- 3⁄4 cup boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 5 -6 cups bread flour
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, combine the coffee, water, syrup, vegetable oil, oats, sugar and salt. Let sit for a couple of minutes until it cools slightly.
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the oat mixture, eggs and 2 cups of flour; mix well.
- Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic about 6-8 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled.
- Punch dough down. Trun onto a lightly floured surface, divide into two.
- Shape into loaves. Place in two greased 9 X 5 X 3" loaf pans.
- Cover and let rise until doubled.
- Bake at 350F for 40-45 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.