Recipe by veruca salt
I received this recipe from a friend,when I told her I wanted to make something for everyone at work. This was fantastic and a big hit at my job. I will definitely make these again--not only for work (though they keep bugging me for more), but for all occasions.
Top Review by ladyfingers
The food processor is a good idea--it makes quick preparation time of these delicious bars. I used Solo raspberry filling instead of jam. Mine were a little crumbly, so taking them out in one piece (as directed in step #15) was impossible. That didn't matter; the good taste is what counts. Thanks, veruca salt!
- 1 1⁄2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups old fashioned oats
- 3⁄4 cup seedless raspberry jam
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Spread 3/4 cup coconut evenly on a baking sheet.
- Toast in middle of oven, stirring once, until golden, about 8 minutes, and then cool.
- Blend together flour, sugars, and salt in food processor.
- Then add butter and blend until a dough begins to form.
- Transfer to a bowl and knead in oats and toasted coconut until well combined.
- Reserve 3/4 cup of dough.
- Press remainder of dough evenly into bottom of a buttered 13x9-inch metal baking pan.
- Spread jam over it.
- Crumble reserved dough evenly over jam.
- Sprinkle with remaining 3/4 cup untoasted coconut.
- Bake in middle of oven until golden, 20-25 minutes.
- Cool completely in pan on a rack.
- Loosen from sides of pan with a sharp knife.
- Lift out in one piece and transfer to a cutting board.
- Cut into 24 bars.
- Note: Bars can be made 3 days ahead and kept in an airtight container.