Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
These chewy jems are remarkably good, despite being low in fat. Great with hot cocoa on a cold wintery day.
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons high-quality cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1⁄3 cup non-hydrogenated margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- In a medium pan, mix the sugar, cocoa, evaporated milk, and margarine.
- Cook and stir over medium-high heat until mixture comes to a boil.
- Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from burner.
- Add vanilla.
- Add oats and coconut and stir well.
- Drop by tablespoons onto cookie sheet lined with waxed paper.
- Refrigerate until firm, approx.
- 30 mins-1 hr.
- Store in a sealed container in the fridge or at room temperature.