I personally don't like coconut so I leave it out and sometimes add dried fruit. This recipe is from American Profile
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 1⁄2 cups apple juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 3⁄4 cup shredded sweetened coconut, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease a 13-by-9-inch baking pan.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine oatmeal and apple juice. Cover and heat on high 2 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Combine flour, wheat germ, 1/2 cup coconut, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, combine brown sugar, applesauce, carrots and eggs. Fold into flour mixture. Add oatmeal mixture and stir until just blended.
- Spoon into baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup coconut. Bake 50 to 60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool and cut into bars.
This is a great bar, very easy to make. I did not have any wheat germ so I just upped the flour a bit. As well I used raisins instead of carrots. I think my kids are going to really like these! I was looking for something dairy free as one of my children is allergic to milk - this was easy and tastes great so I think it will be a regular in my house. Since I make it with raisins maybe next time I'll add cinnamon or something. It seems like a very versatile recipe. Thanks!
Delicious (and healthy!) I used Splenda Brown sugar blend for the brown sugar. I cut the recipe in half, but will make the whole recipe next time and freeze some of the bars. I forgot to get applesauce and had some pumpkin left so used that instead, and it worked great. I will try your suggestion of adding dried fruit next time. Thanks for a nice little snack bar!