I personally don't like coconut so I leave it out and sometimes add dried fruit. This recipe is from American Profile
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 1⁄2 cups apple juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 3⁄4 cup shredded sweetened coconut, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease a 13-by-9-inch baking pan.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine oatmeal and apple juice. Cover and heat on high 2 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Combine flour, wheat germ, 1/2 cup coconut, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, combine brown sugar, applesauce, carrots and eggs. Fold into flour mixture. Add oatmeal mixture and stir until just blended.
- Spoon into baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup coconut. Bake 50 to 60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool and cut into bars.