Recipe by Galley Wench
Perfect anytime! Updated, I've changed the flour to indicate reviewers suggestions.
Top Review by Crafty Lady 13
Made for RSC #11. Very good scone recipe. I have never made scones with oatmeal before. I really liked the flavors of the orange, cinnamon and craisins together. I followed the directions exactly, but found that I also needed to add more flour to keep the dough from being too sticky. Overall, a very good recipe with a wonderful flavor.
- 1 1⁄2 cups oatmeal
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 3⁄4 cup craisins (dried cranberries)
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1⁄4 cup whole milk
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 5⁄8 cup butter (10 Tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat Oven 375 degrees.
- Spread oatmeal on baking sheet and place on center rack of oven and toast for 4 minutes.
- Stir and add pecans to mixture and toast an additional 3-5 minutes, careful not to over toast the pecans.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Set oven temperature to 425 degrees.
- Remove 2 Tablespoons oatmeal and set aside for dusting counter.
- Wipe out baking sheet and line with parchment paper.
- In small bowl combine, milk, cream, honey and egg.
- To food processor mix together 1 1/2 cups flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Sprinkle butter over top and process until resembles cornmeal.
- Transfer mixture to bowl and stir in the oats, pecans, orange zest and craisins.
- Stir in milk mixture and knead in bowl until forms a large ball.
- To reserved oatmeal add 2 tablespoons of flour and sprinkle counter with 1/2 of the mixture.
- Turn dough out on counter and dust top with remaining toasted oatmeal mixture.
- Lightly knead mixture and form into a circle approximately 1 inch thick (7-8 inches in diameter).
- Cut dough into 8 wedges and place each wedge on prepared baking sheet.
- Brush tops of each wedge with milk and dust with sugar and cinnamon.
- Bake at 425 degrees until golden brown, approximately 12-15 minutes.
- Remove to pastry rack and allow to cool 10-15 minutes before serving.