- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oatmeal (your preference for texture) or 1 cup old fashioned oats (your preference for texture)
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cream butter, sugar and salt in a mixer.
- Add flour and oatmeal, blend until it holds together.
- Heat milk in a pan and add chocolate chips.
- Use low heat and stir until the chips are melted and you have a smooth chocolate cream.
- Using a 9x13 pan, press 3/4 of the dough mixture in the pan, spreading and patting it to cover the whole surface.
- Pour chocolate cream over crust.
- Crumble last bit of dough over the chocolate, creating a third spotty layer.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Cool, cut, transfer to a wax paper lined tray and allow to firm up a bit before serving- I leave them for a few hours and they become fudge-like, but they are still yummy if you eat them sooner than that.
- You can also use a smaller pan- I have used a 10" square and just baked a little longer for a thicker bar, which required a longer cooling time as well.
- Note: removing to the wax paper is necessary-- if you cool them too long in the pan they are hard to remove, as the bottom crust tends to stick to the pan.