- 1 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup boiling water
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 (6 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat shortening, brown sugar, white sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Add flour and salt; mix well.
- Dissolve baking soda in the boiling water and add to the flour mix.
- Stir in oatmeal and chocolate chips.
- Roll into balls and put on an ungreased cookie sheet, 2 inches apart.
- Flatten with a fork dipped in cold water.
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes.