Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Husband and kids love them. Recipe passed on in family.
- 1 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup boiling water
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 (6 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Beat shortening, brown sugar, white sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Add flour and salt; mix well.
- Dissolve baking soda in the boiling water and add to the flour mix.
- Stir in oatmeal and chocolate chips.
- Roll into balls and put on an ungreased cookie sheet, 2 inches apart.
- Flatten with a fork dipped in cold water.
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes.
This is an excellant cookie recipe. I had 1/4 cup of butter flavored shortening on hand so I used that with regular. DH is on his 4th right out of the oven as I type. Good recipe and a keeper !!
I really do love these cookies...they are one of my faves! Thanks for posting...you can even eat the dough raw with out worrying:)