Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Healthy oats help give these bars their chewy cookie texture! Great for the lunch box!
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup Crisco
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup chopped nuts
- 1 (12 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips (2 cups)
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Grease 15 x 10 or 13 x 9-inch pan.
- In a large bowl, beat brown sugar and shortening until light and fluffy.
- Add molasses, vanilla and eggs; blend well.
- Stir in oats, flour, baking soda and salt; blend well.
- Stir in nuts and chocolate chips.
- Spread in greased pan.
- Bake at 350°F.
- for 20 to 25 minutes or until light golden brown and center is set.
- Cool slightly. Cut into bars.
- Serve warm or cool.
- Yield: 48 bars Enjoy!
These were good. I used butter instead of crisco and cut out a little bit of the sugar and chocolate chips. I think I may try making them again with cinnamon and raisins (instead of choc chips).
This recipe is a favorite my my husband and I. It is so easy to make, and I usually have all the ingredients on hand. I don't put nuts in, just dark chocolate chunks. I like to freeze most of the batch and they are delicious and chewy straight out of the freezer.
Delicious. This recipe caught my eye when I saw the ingredients of oatmeal, nuts, chocolate chips, molasses and no white sugar. I'm always looking for recipes with oatmeal as my family does not like oatmeal as a cereal. I made half the recipe. Next time I'll be making the whole recipe and storing these gems in the freezer for breakfast or a snack. Thanks for posting this easy recipe. Those are the kind I love.