Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Easy one-bowl oatmeal cookie bars with lots of chocolate chunks, very chewy and sweet. These are similar to regular chocolate-chip cookies, but baked in a sheet pan for convenience. I made these with chopped dark chocolate bars because dark chocolate is "healthier" than milk or semisweet chocolate - you can substiture one 12-ounce package of chocolate chips if you prefer
- Have ready, ungreased, two 9x9" square baking pans or one 15x10" jelly-roll pan.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large glass or plastic mixing bowl, soften the butter (a few seconds in the microwave); it should be very soft but not completely melted. Using a heavy spoon, beat in both sugars, then beat in the eggs until smooth. Beat in the vanilla, baking soda and salt. Mix in the flour just until combined, then stir in the oatmeal and chocolate chunks.
- Spoon the cookie dough into ungreased baking pans. Using the back of the spoon, lightly spread the dough, leaving it a little higher at the sides and corners than in the middle. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 17-20 minutes, until set in the middle and brown around the edges. Because of the brown sugar, this cookie gets much darker than "golden brown" when it is done.
- Cool in the pan. Cut into bars to serve. Take some to work or school to give away, because the large amount of oatmeal makes them dry out in a few days if you have leftovers.
Good! Cut back to 1C choco chips per reviews--maybe baked 1minute too long too--either needs more toward recommended amt of chocolate or to be cooked softer bc they came out a touch dry. Yummmmy though.
These are fantastic! The only change I made was I used all dark brown sugar, instead or brown and white sugar. As another poster said, they are REALLY chocolatey and I may cut back on that next time (I used semisweet chunks). I think next time I may try adding pecans and coconut, too. This seems like a really versatile recipe. I know that it hit the pregnancy craving I have going on right now! Thank you, thank you!
These are really tasty. My husband and daughter can't have eggs so I used milled flax seed instead (2 1/2 T milled flax and 3 T water per egg). I used regular semisweet chocolate chips as you suggested and they were VERY chocolatey. I might cut back a bit next time. Thanks for a yummy treat!