Recipe by Rodney B.
These are great breakfast biscuits, lightly sweet with wonderfully balanced flavors. I put together pieces of three different recipes to arrive here, and I really love the result. These biscuits scored well in my house! I always bake biscuits on a pizza stone, which I preheat as the oven preheats. I'm not sure how this affects baking time, so if you're using a lightly greased cookie sheet, I'd recommend watching them closely after the first 10 minutes!
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup white flour
- 1 cup oats
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup pecans, chopped
- 1⁄8 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 banana, very ripe
- 1 1⁄4 cups plain yogurt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 400' F.
- In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients down to the nutmeg.
- Using a pastry cutter, cut the butter into the dry ingredients.
- Mash the banana in a separate bowl, and mix the yogurt into it.
- Fold the banana-yogurt mixture into the dry ingredients and mix briefly. The dough will be quite loose and sticky.
- Turn out onto a heavily-floured board and knead about 6 times. Sprinkle with plenty of white flour to keep it from sticking to everything.
- Roll the dough out 3/8" to 1/2" thick, and cut into 3" rounds. Arrange with sides touching on a seasoned or lightly-greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 400' F for 16-19 minutes, until browned.