Prep 10 mins
Cook 16 mins
I adapted this recipe from one I found at the food Blog Joy the Baker.
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg, slighlty beaten
- 3⁄4 cup dried cherries or 3⁄4 cup cranberries
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a 12 cup and a 6 cup muffin pan with paper cases or non stick spray.
- In a large bowl combine flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In a medium bowl combine applesauce, buttermilk, sugar, oil and egg.
- Make a well in dry ingredients and add applesauce mixture.
- Stir until just moist.
- Fold in cherries or cranberries.
- Fill muffin cups 2/3 full.
I found these to be very tasty and moist. I must agree with Mikekey's review in that the final yield is off. I made 6 "double" size muffins and when I do that it always equals 12 standard size muffins if I want the smaller ones. There is no reason why you couldn't make 18 but I think that they would almost be mini muffins. I chose to add a but more Splenda as the applesauce was unsweetened about 1/4-1/3 cup of the Splenda and they came great. :D
Very moist and tasty muffin. Not too sweet. I used cherries, but cranberries would be good also. I only got 12 regular size muffins. There was no baking time included in the instructions, so I baked mine 20 minutes.