Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
They are soft, a little chewy, and not particularly sweet.
- 1 cup loosely packed brown sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, slightly softened
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 2 large eggs
- 1 -2 tablespoon golden syrup (optional)
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups flaked oats
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- Cream sugar and butter. add eggs and golden syrup, mix well.
- Meanwhile cook cherries in water (to cover) in microwave for about a minute to plump them up.
- Discard half the liquid, cool.
- Mix flour, baking soda, oats and nuts together. add cherries and cooking liquid to the wet ingredients; mix well.
- Loosely fold the dry ingredients in, leave batter to sit for at least half an hour (can be refrigerated overnight, but the cookie texture will be different).
- Drop teaspoons of the batter onto a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake 13 to 15 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Cool before storing.
- They are soft, a little chewy, and not particularly sweet.
this came out pretty good, I made substitutions of 1 cup unsweetened apple sauce for butter, egg whites for eggs, and splenda brown sugar blend for the sugar. I also added almond extract, cinnamon and nutmeg. They came out cake like and chewy, very good.