Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is an often requested recipe that is easy to make and delicious to eat. Prepare it for your next potluck or bake sale.
- 473.18 ml all-purpose flour
- 473.18 ml quick-cooking rolled oats
- 354.88 ml firmly packed brown sugar
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml salt
- 295.73 ml margarine or 295.73 ml butter, softened
- 354.36 g jar caramel ice cream topping (1 cup)
- 44.37 ml all-purpose flour
- 170.09 g package semi-sweet chocolate chips (1 cup)
- 118.29 ml chopped nuts
- Heat oven to 350*.
- Grease 13x9 inch pan.
- In large bowl, blend all crust ingredients at low speed until crumbly.
- Press half of crumb mixture, about 3 cups, in bottom of greased pan.
- Reserve remaining crumb mixture for topping.
- Bake at 350* for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl combine caramel topping and 3 tbls.
- flour; set aside.
- Sprinkle warm crust with chocolate chips and nuts.
- Drizzle evenly with caramel mixture; sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
- Return to oven and bake an additional 18 to 22 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool completely.
- Refrigerate 1 to 2 hours or until filling is set.
- Cut into bars.
I've made these several times. I have tried variations on the main idea: Peanut Butter and jelly bars with fruit ice cream topping and melted peanut butter in place of the carmel and choc chips; and a oatmeal scotchy version with carmel butterscotch topping amd 1/2 butterscotch chips 1/2 heath toffee chips. I've also substituted some of the butter for yogurt. Seems to be an almost fail proof recipe!
this was a hit at a party. my kids loved it.
Absolutely nummy!!! I will definitely be making these again. These would be great for a potluck or bake sale.