Recipe by Sharon123
This is an often requested recipe that is easy to make and delicious to eat. Prepare it for your next potluck or bake sale.
Top Review by gmomoney
I've made these several times. I have tried variations on the main idea: Peanut Butter and jelly bars with fruit ice cream topping and melted peanut butter in place of the carmel and choc chips; and a oatmeal scotchy version with carmel butterscotch topping amd 1/2 butterscotch chips 1/2 heath toffee chips. I've also substituted some of the butter for yogurt. Seems to be an almost fail proof recipe!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1 1⁄2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups margarine or 1 1⁄4 cups butter, softened
- 1 (12 1/2 ounce) jar caramel ice cream topping (1 cup)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (6 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips (1 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350*.
- Grease 13x9 inch pan.
- In large bowl, blend all crust ingredients at low speed until crumbly.
- Press half of crumb mixture, about 3 cups, in bottom of greased pan.
- Reserve remaining crumb mixture for topping.
- Bake at 350* for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl combine caramel topping and 3 tbls.
- flour; set aside.
- Sprinkle warm crust with chocolate chips and nuts.
- Drizzle evenly with caramel mixture; sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
- Return to oven and bake an additional 18 to 22 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool completely.
- Refrigerate 1 to 2 hours or until filling is set.
- Cut into bars.