From Southern Living November 2006 test kitchen's top rated recipes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups uncooked quick-cooking oats
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 (12 ounce) package semisweet chocolate morsels
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional) or 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted (optional)
- 1 (14 ounce) package caramels
- 1/3 cup half-and-half
- 1Stir together first 5 ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- 2Add butter, stirring until mixture is crumbly.
- 3Reserve half of mixture (about 2 3/4 cups).
- 4Press remaining half of mixture into bottom of a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch pan.
- 5Sprinkle evenly with chocolate morsels, and, if desired, pecans.
- 6Microwave caramels and half-and-half in a microwave-safe bowl at MEDIUM (50% power) 3 minutes.
- 7Stir and microwave at MEDIUM 1 to 3 more minutes or until mixture is smooth.
- 8Let stand 1 minute.
- 9Pour evenly over chocolate morsels.
- 10Sprinkle evenly with reserved crumb mixture.
- 11Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until light golden brown.
- 12Cool in pan on a wire rack.
- 13Cut into bars.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oatmeal Carmelitas
Serving Size: 1 (1847 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 324.1
- Calories from Fat 122
- Total Fat 13.6 g
- Saturated Fat 7.8 g
- Cholesterol 23.1 mg
- Sodium 179.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 31.7 g
- Protein 3.7 g