Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Southern Living November 2006 test kitchen's top rated recipes.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups uncooked quick-cooking oats
- 1 1⁄2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 (12 ounce) package semisweet chocolate morsels
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans (optional) or 1⁄2 cup walnuts, toasted (optional)
- 1 (14 ounce) package caramels
- 1⁄3 cup half-and-half
- Stir together first 5 ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Add butter, stirring until mixture is crumbly.
- Reserve half of mixture (about 2 3/4 cups).
- Press remaining half of mixture into bottom of a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch pan.
- Sprinkle evenly with chocolate morsels, and, if desired, pecans.
- Microwave caramels and half-and-half in a microwave-safe bowl at MEDIUM (50% power) 3 minutes.
- Stir and microwave at MEDIUM 1 to 3 more minutes or until mixture is smooth.
- Let stand 1 minute.
- Pour evenly over chocolate morsels.
- Sprinkle evenly with reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack.
- Cut into bars.