Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Southern Living November 2006 test kitchen's top rated recipes.
Make and share this Oatmeal Carmelitas recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups uncooked quick-cooking oats
- 1 1⁄2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 (12 ounce) package semisweet chocolate morsels
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans (optional) or 1⁄2 cup walnuts, toasted (optional)
- 1 (14 ounce) package caramels
- 1⁄3 cup half-and-half
- Stir together first 5 ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Add butter, stirring until mixture is crumbly.
- Reserve half of mixture (about 2 3/4 cups).
- Press remaining half of mixture into bottom of a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch pan.
- Sprinkle evenly with chocolate morsels, and, if desired, pecans.
- Microwave caramels and half-and-half in a microwave-safe bowl at MEDIUM (50% power) 3 minutes.
- Stir and microwave at MEDIUM 1 to 3 more minutes or until mixture is smooth.
- Let stand 1 minute.
- Pour evenly over chocolate morsels.
- Sprinkle evenly with reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack.
- Cut into bars.