Prep 0 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe has been long standing in my family - my grandma used to make many batches before our visits and freeze them. We used to raid the freezer and eat them frozen!
- 1 (14 ounce) bag caramels (Approx. 32)
- 5 -6 tablespoons cream or 5 -6 tablespoons evaporated milk
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups quick oatmeal
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter, Melted
- 1 (12 ounce) bag chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup nuts (optional)
- Melt caramels and cream (I do this in a double broiler, but I'm sure a microwave would work).
- Combine next 6 ingredients, stir until melted butter is absorbed and mixture crumbles.
- Put half of the crumbs in 9 x 13 pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips (and nuts) over crust and drizzle caramel mixture over them.
- Top with remaining crumbs.
- Bake 15 minutes longer.