Prep 10 mins
Cook 37 mins
These are my brother's favorite. It's a layer of oatmeal cookie, a layer of soft caramel, a layer of walnuts, chocolate chips and then topped with another layer of oatmeal cookie. They are easy and delicious!
- 3 cups quick-cooking oatmeal
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄3 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄3 cups unsalted butter, melted
- 50 caramels
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups walnuts, chopped
- 2 cups semisweet mini chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, stir together oatmeal, flour, brown sugar, Cinnamon (if using), and baking soda.
- Add melted butter, stir until all combined.
- Set aside 2 cups packed oatmeal mixture for the topping.
- Sprinkle the rest of the oatmeal mixture into a parchment-lined 9x13 baking pan.
- Pat down with a spatula.
- Bake for 12 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
- While the bottom oatmeal crust is baking, start the filling. In a heavy saucepan combine caramels,4 tablespoons of butter, vanilla extract, and milk.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until all the caramels have just melted.
- When the bottom crust is done, spread caramel sauce evenly on baked oatmeal crust.
- Sprinkle walnuts, mini-chocolate chips, and the 2 cups of the remaining uncooked oatmeal mixture, in that order.
- With a flat spatula, carefully pat down the uncooked oatmeal mixture you just sprinkled on-top until you can't or can barely see the chocolate chips and nuts beneath.
- Now, bake in a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes or until top is golden.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack.
- After cooled completely, carefully grab the parchemnt you lined the pan with, and lift the cookies out the pan.
- Cut it into bars.
Yummy-ola! Took earlier reviewer's suggestion...skipped the foil altogether and slathered the pan with oil instead...came out like a charm! Followed the recipe as is EXCEPT I didn't use the cinnamon, and didn't miss it a bit. Took to a church fellowship and every single one was gone in no time--and all good reports too~! *PAC Spring 2008*
These were great bars! The oatmeal layer was nice and crunchy and the chocolate and caramel layer was ooey gooey. The only reason I did not give these 5 stars was because I had trouble with the foil sticking to the caramel layer when I took them out of the pan. Perhaps a little non stick cooking spray would help.