Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A revved-up variation of the old-time oatmeal cake recipe. A crunch topping containing Heath and Hershey chocolate bars really add to the "mmmmm" factor!
- 1 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup shortening or 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs, well-beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons margarine
- 4 Hershey Bars
- 4 Heath candy bars
- 1⁄2 cup pecans or 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 F and spray 9 x 12 pan with cooking spray.
- Pour water over oatmeal and mix. Let stand 20 minutes or until cooled.
- Cream shortening, brown sugar, white sugar well-beaten eggs and vanilla.
- Add oatmeal and mix well.
- Sift together flour, cinnamon, soda and salt. Add to the creamed sugar mix and blend.
- Pour into 9x12 rectangular baking dish.
- Mix flour, brown sugar, white sugar and butter or margarine together until crumbly.
- Chop Hershey and Heath bars and add to chopped nuts.
- Mix nut mixture into flour mixture.
- Spread evenly over top of cake.
- Bake in 350 F oven for 30 minutes, or until knife comes out clean after testing cake for doneness.
- Spread topping over cake.