Recipe by Caryn
A delicious tasting cake that has been in my family since I was a child. Healthy in that it has oatmeal but with a wonderful sweet crunchy topping.
- 1 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
- 1 1⁄4 cups boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup coconut
- 5 tablespoons cream
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- BATTER: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly grease a 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
- In a small bowl, mix oatmeal with boiling water; let cool.
- In another small bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar, and brown sugar together.
- Add eggs and vanilla; mix well.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternating with the oatmeal mixture.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Combine ingredients together to make the topping.
- Sprinkle topping evenly over top of warm cake.
- Put cake back into the oven and broil until the topping bubbles.
- Remove from oven.