Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 mins
- Mix oats and soda to buttermilk.
- Let stand 5 minutes.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- Add sifted dry ingredients, shortening and eggs to oats mixture.
- Stir until combined.
- For each pancake, pour about 1/4 cup batter onto hot, lightly greased griddle.
- Bake to a golden brown, turning only once.
- Serve hot with butter and syrup.
A very rustic pancake. Quite good but was a little too rough textured while fresh for my liking. HOWEVER, these were much better frozen and then reheated in the toaster. They seemed to mellow in the freezer and kept their shape perfectly. Wonderful for a "homemade" breakfast when you need it fast. will definitely make again.
I made these for breakfast this morning and loved them. I also had to add a bit more buttermilk and I was still a little concerned because the batter was still quite thick. But they turned out light and fluffy! I've had other oatmeal pancakes that don't have any oatmeal taste, but these do and I loved that. Thanks!
My family loved these pancakes. They were a nice change from the regular pancakes. Definitely a keeper recipe! I served them with the buttermilk syrup (Buttermilk Syrup)which was a wonderful combination.