Plan ahead the batter needs to chill for a minimum of 2 hours or overnight. These pancakes are incredibly light!
- 2 cups old fashioned oats (or use quick cooking oats)
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar (can add in more sugar for a sweeter pancake)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted (no substitutes)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- oil (for frying) or butter (for frying)
- In a large bowl combine the first 6 dry ingredients.
- In another smaller bowl whisk together buttermilk, eggs, melted butter and vanilla until well blended; add to the dry ingredients, whisk until blended (there might be some small lumps that still remain).
- Cover and chill for a minimum of 2 hours or overnight.
- Heat oil in a skillet.
- Drop about 1/4 cup of batter into the skillet.
- Cook the pancakes until the bottoms are golden brown and bubbles form on top (about 2 minutes).
- Turn the pancakes over and cook until the bottoms are golden brown, brushing the skillet with more oil or butter if necessary.