These are gorgeous looking and you get two for one! Two different dessert tastes--brownies and brown sugared oats, layered into one rich, scrumptious treat. Makes 48 brownies.
- 2 1⁄2 cups oats (quick-cooking or old-fashioned)
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened (can sub equal amount of margarine)
- 15 ounces brownie mix (with chocolate syrup pouch)
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup nuts (chopped)
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Grease bottom only of 13x9x2 pan.
- For oat mixture:.
- Mix oats, flour, brown sugar and baking soda.
- Stir in butter.
- Reserve 1 cup of the oat mixture and press remaining oat mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake 10 minutes and then let cool for 5 minutes.
- For brownie mixture:.
- Stir brownie mix, chocolate syrup, water, oil and eggs in medium bowl about 50 strokes or until well blended.
- Stir in nuts.
- Spread over oat layer and then sprinkle with remaining oat mixture.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in pan comes out clean (checking 2 inches from side of pan).
- Cool completely before cutting.