Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
A delicious, thick bowl of oatmeal that will make you wake up hungry every morning.
- 3⁄4 cup quick oats
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup cottage cheese
- 1⁄2 cup berries (optional) or 1⁄2 cup mashed bananas (optional) or 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional) or 1⁄2 cup canned pumpkin (optional) or 1⁄2 cup chopped fruit (optional)
- 2 tablespoons sugar (brown sugar is nice instead, and splenda works too to keep it healthy)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds (optional) or 2 tablespoons chopped pecans (optional) or 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts (optional)
- In a microwave-safe bowl, lightly beat the egg and add the oats, milk, fruit, sugar, and cottage cheese.
- Stir well then microwave on high for 2 minutes.
- Stir well again and microwave for another minute.
- Keep repeating stirring and microwaving at 1 minute intervals atleast 3 times, until oatmeal becomes thick or to desired consistency. (I like mine really thick, almost pudding-like).
- Remove and add vanilla, nuts, cinnamon, and nutmeg. (A few dashes of fround ginger and/or cloves is good too if you want to change it up).
- Stir and enjoy!
I doubled this and it was more than enough for me and my kids. Very good!
I love this recipe, it's so adaptable and a great way for me to get little miss DD to eat eggs. I used rolled oats so cooked it for a bit longer than stated. I've tried this with blueberries & banana & both times miss DD has happily gobbled this up. Thanks for a keeper!!
This was really a great recipe to try out! I made a small portion for a snack-used fat free cottage cheese, mashed bananas & Splenda. Next time I'm going to use about double the amt of banana, though, and less Splenda (probably about half the amt-and use a few Splenda packets for topping & additonal sweetness if needed). I'm going to increase on the cinnamon, too-personal tastes! My oatmeal thickened nicely after about three more stirrings in the microwave-just the way I like it, too! I loved the protein & healthy ingredients-thanks so much for sharing this recipe!