Recipe by zjraby
Hearty oatmeal breakfast bar for those who need breakfast on the go. Soaked flour and oats to break down the phytic acid and make the nutrients more available. Traditional foods friendly.
- 1 3⁄4 cups steel cut oats
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup coconut oil, VIrgin Unrefined
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup diced dried fruit
Directions See How It's Made
- Grind 1 1/4 cup of the steel cut oats until they are finer - even better if they are more flour like. Mix the ground oats with the remaining 1/2 cup oats, the flour, and the buttermilk. Allow to soak for 12-24 hours.
- Mix in the remaining ingredients - a stand mixer works well.
- Spread the dough onto the bottom of an ungreased 13 X 9-inch pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Cool completely on wire rack. Cut into bars. Store tightly covered.