Recipe by Mysterygirl
I have been making this recipe since my daughter was small. I love to serve it warm with home-made strawberry or blackberry jam. So yummy. Makes great sandwiches too.
Top Review by podapo
MG... this deserves at least 10 stars. I didn't have light molasses so had to use the dark, but it was still light,airy, moist and DELICIOUS. Hubby wanted to know why I hadn't baked bread in our 5 years together until now and that he only wants homemade from now on... with this recipe, I'm happy to oblige. Thanks!
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages quick-rising yeast
- 1⁄2 cup water (110 degrees)
- 1 1⁄4 cups boiling water
- 1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup light molasses
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 5 3⁄4-6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 beaten eggs
- quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1 beaten egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
Directions See How It's Made
- Soften yeast in the warm water.
- Combine the boiling water, 1 cup oats, molasses, butter and salt.
- Cool to lukewarm.
- Stir in 2 cup of the flour, beat well.
- Add the softened yeast and 2 beaten eggs, beat well.
- Stir in enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic about 8-10 minutes.
- Shape into a ball.
- Place in a lightly oiled bowl, turning once to grease the surface of the dough.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until double (about 1 hour).
- Punch dough down, turn out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Divide dough in half and cover with the bowl.
- Let rest 10 minutes.
- Coat 2 well greased loaf pans with about 2 Tbsp of rolled oats per pan.
- Shape dough into loaves.
- Place the loaves into the pans.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until double (about 30- 45 minutes).
- Mix the beaten egg white with the tablespoon of water.
- Brush the tops of the loaves with this mixture.
- Sprinkle the tops of the loaves with a few more rolled oats.
- Bake at 375°F till done, about 40 minutes.
- Cover loosely with foil during the last 15 minutes if the tops are browning too quickly.
- Remove from pans and cool on a rack.