Prep 2 hrs
Cook 40 mins
I have been making this recipe since my daughter was small. I love to serve it warm with home-made strawberry or blackberry jam. So yummy. Makes great sandwiches too.
- Soften yeast in the warm water.
- Combine the boiling water, 1 cup oats, molasses, butter and salt.
- Cool to lukewarm.
- Stir in 2 cup of the flour, beat well.
- Add the softened yeast and 2 beaten eggs, beat well.
- Stir in enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic about 8-10 minutes.
- Shape into a ball.
- Place in a lightly oiled bowl, turning once to grease the surface of the dough.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until double (about 1 hour).
- Punch dough down, turn out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Divide dough in half and cover with the bowl.
- Let rest 10 minutes.
- Coat 2 well greased loaf pans with about 2 Tbsp of rolled oats per pan.
- Shape dough into loaves.
- Place the loaves into the pans.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until double (about 30- 45 minutes).
- Mix the beaten egg white with the tablespoon of water.
- Brush the tops of the loaves with this mixture.
- Sprinkle the tops of the loaves with a few more rolled oats.
- Bake at 375°F till done, about 40 minutes.
- Cover loosely with foil during the last 15 minutes if the tops are browning too quickly.
- Remove from pans and cool on a rack.
MG... this deserves at least 10 stars. I didn't have light molasses so had to use the dark, but it was still light,airy, moist and DELICIOUS. Hubby wanted to know why I hadn't baked bread in our 5 years together until now and that he only wants homemade from now on... with this recipe, I'm happy to oblige. Thanks!
MG, I agree with podapo--at least ten stars! I was looking for a healthy bread to make for my fiance's lunch...(he has high cholesterol)...I think this fits the bill. Light and airy, crispy crust...and the egg white wash and oatmeal on the top is to die for. Wonderful. Thank you for posting this!
Easy to make and delicious. I halved the amount of salt and it tasted great.