1/1 Photo of Oatmeal Bread
2 hrs 40 mins
I have been making this recipe since my daughter was small. I love to serve it warm with home-made strawberry or blackberry jam. So yummy. Makes great sandwiches too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages quick-rising yeast
- 1/2 cup water (110 degrees)
- 1 1/4 cups boiling water
- 1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1/2 cup light molasses
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 5 3/4-6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 beaten eggs
- quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1 beaten egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1Soften yeast in the warm water.
- 2Combine the boiling water, 1 cup oats, molasses, butter and salt.
- 3Cool to lukewarm.
- 4Stir in 2 cup of the flour, beat well.
- 5Add the softened yeast and 2 beaten eggs, beat well.
- 6Stir in enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- 7Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic about 8-10 minutes.
- 8Shape into a ball.
- 9Place in a lightly oiled bowl, turning once to grease the surface of the dough.
- 10Cover and let rise in a warm place until double (about 1 hour).
- 11Punch dough down, turn out onto a lightly floured surface.
- 12Divide dough in half and cover with the bowl.
- 13Let rest 10 minutes.
- 14Coat 2 well greased loaf pans with about 2 Tbsp of rolled oats per pan.
- 15Shape dough into loaves.
- 16Place the loaves into the pans.
- 17Cover and let rise in a warm place until double (about 30- 45 minutes).
- 18Mix the beaten egg white with the tablespoon of water.
- 19Brush the tops of the loaves with this mixture.
- 20Sprinkle the tops of the loaves with a few more rolled oats.
- 21Bake at 375°F till done, about 40 minutes.
- 22Cover loosely with foil during the last 15 minutes if the tops are browning too quickly.
- 23Remove from pans and cool on a rack.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oatmeal Bread
Serving Size: 1 (81 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 208.2
- Calories from Fat 37
- Total Fat 4.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 29.2 mg
- Sodium 385.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 5.4 g