Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Nice earthy taste but soft enough that kids will love it. Use quick-cooking oats for lighter bread, or regular rolled oats for a chewier texture. We use a stoneware bread pan. For the final rise (outside the bread machine,) I place the loaf on the middle rack of our oven, and place a 9" x 9" baking dish filled with hot tap water underneath it. The baking itself is done on our oven's second-lowest rack.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2⁄3 cup 1% low-fat milk, warmed 40 sec in microwave
- 1⁄2 cup water, warmed 40 sec in microwave
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups bread flour (I use King Arthur Brand)
- 1 cup wheat flour (King Arthur Brand White-Wheat)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 -4 teaspoons vital wheat gluten
- 1 teaspoon yeast
- Place ingredients into bread machine in the order they are listed.
- Run bread machine on "Dough" cycle until comlete.
- Remove dough from machine and knead on floured surface 3-4 times.
- Place dough in greased bread pan.
- Allow loaf to rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Using a serrated knife, make a 1/4" slit down the middle of the loaf.
- Bake at 350F for 28 minutes.
- Remove bread to cool on rack 2-3 hours before slicing.