Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep2 hrs 35 mins
Delicious and healthy homemade oatmeal bread, very light.
Make and share this Oatmeal Bread recipe from Food.com.
- Combine the first six ingredients.
- Let cool to lukewarm; stir in yeast.
- Wait 5 minutes to be sure mix bubbles; if not, buy new yeast.
- Once mix has bubbled, stir in the 5 cups flour.
- Knead 5-10 minutes, until satiny looking.
- Put in a greased bowl.
- Cover bowl very loosely with clean damp towel.
- Let rise till doubled.
- Punch down; let rise again.
- Shape into 2 loaves and place in greased loaf pans.
- Let rise til above pan.
- Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes or until bread thumps hollow.
As any good breadbaker should know, adding any grains or flours other than bread or AP will require more yeast and more rising time than a traditional loaf. Also other variables (altitude, humidity, etc.) will also have to be factored in to ANY bread recipe. Bread baking is both a science and an art.
I did not find this bread very appealing. The flavor is not bad, but it is very bland. I cannot taste any oatmeal at all. The poster did say it was a light bread, and it is, but I also had some trouble getting it to rise, as did the other reviewer. I also think that using 1 cup of oatmeal to 5 1/2 cups flour does not constitute bread that is good for the health, especially with the rather large proportion of sugar.
Great taste. Some difficulty in getting it to rise in the loaf pans.