Recipe by veraj9170
Nice and crusty. Great textured center. Wonderful warm slathered with butter and jam!
- 1⁄2 cup quick oats
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook oats in 1 cup water according to package directions. Remove from heat and stir in butter, brown sugar and salt. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix yeast and 1/4 cup warm water in a large bowl; let stand 5-10 minutes until frothy while you cook the oats.
- Add oats and flour to yeast and mix until the dough starts to come away from the side of the bowl. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured suface; knead until smooth and elastic (about 5 - 7 minutes). Place in a well greased bowl turning to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until dough has doubled in size about 1 hour.
- Turn dough out and gently shape into a round loaf. Place dough on a baking sheet and let rise an additional 30- 45 minutes.
- Slash the top of loaf as desired.
- Bake at 375F for 40-45 minutes.