Prep 35 mins
Cook 3 hrs
All I can say is, "This bread is great."
- 3 cups water
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 6 -6 1⁄2 cups flour
- Dissolve the yeast in the warm water and proof for a few minutes while you get the rest ready.
- In a pan, place the water and salt and bring to a boil; add the rolled oats, but do not boil.
- Stir in and cool to lukewarm the brown sugar and butter.
- When lukewarm, stir in the yeast mixture and mix well.
- Add the flour gradually until the dough is a good consistency to knead.
- Knead 100 times.
- Let rise in a greased bowl until double (about 1 1/2 hours).
- Punch down and divide in half.
- Put each half in a greased bread pan.
- Rise again for about 1 hour or until almost double in size.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 40-45 minutes, putting foil on top after about 25-30 minutes to prevent it browning too much.
I made this bread but substituted 2 cups of wheat flour for 2 cups of white flour. My bread rose nicely the first time, but once I had shaped the loaves and placed them in pans, it did not rise as much during the second rise as I had expected. Once baked, it made a dense, chewy bread. It tasted delicious, but not as light as I had hoped. Perhaps it is because of the wheat flour. Before this, I had only made white bread.
Wow, this was so good! I was looking for a simple recipe for oatmeal bread and this fit the bill perfectly. It tastes wonderful with honey or even by itself! I halved the recipe, used an 8x4 pan and ended up with a nice sized loaf. I used only about half a tablespoon of butter and about 2 tablespoons extra brown sugar. I toasted my oatmeal beforehand just because I like the taste it brings out when toasted, but I will try it next time without doing that just to see if there actually is a difference when using it this way. I definitely will be making it again since my family has already requested for me to make it again! Thanks for the delicious recipe!
Good bread.I used 1/3 cup brown sugar splenda with good results.This made alot of rolls.Thank you.