Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
these are awesome!
- 1⁄4 cup quick oats or 1⁄4 cup old fashioned oats, uncooked
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup blueberries
- Heat oven to 400 degreees.
- paper baking cups or spray bottoms only with no-stick cooking spray.
- For topping, combine 1/4 cup oats and sugar; mix well.
- Set aside.
- For muffins, combine 1-1/2 cups oats, and remaining dry ingredients; mix well.
- Add combined milk, egg whites, oil, lemon peel and vanilla, mixing just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Gently stir in blueberries.
- Fill muffin cups almost full.
- Sprinkle with reserved topping, patting gently.
- Bake 20 to 24 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Let muffins stand a few minutes; remove from pan.
- Note for Jumbo Muffins: Heat oven to 400°F Line 6 jumbo muffin cup with paper baking cups or spray bottoms only with no-stick cooking spray.
- For topping, combine 2 tablespoons old fashioned oats and 1 tablespoon granulated sugar; set aside.
- Proceed as recipe directs except bake muffins 28 to 32 minutes or light g.
A good healthy muffin option. I made these for coffee hour at my church. I liked the balance of lemon and blueberry, and the fact that they weren't really sweet. Step 5 indicates 1 1/2 cups of oats but the ingredient list only mentions 1/2 cup. I went ahead with the 1 1/2 cups and that worked fine.