Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Chewy - not too sweet!
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 1⁄2 cup shortening, room temperature
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick oatmeal, not instant
- 1⁄2 cup medium shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1⁄2 cup Rice Krispies
- 1⁄2 cup nuts or 1⁄2 cup raisins or 1⁄2 cup other dried fruit or 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line the bottom and up the sides of a sprayed 9" x 13" baking sheet or pan with parchment paper.
- Cream together brown sugar, golden syrup and shortening.
- Add egg and vanilla extract and mix well.
- Sift in flour, then add oatmeal and coconut. Stir well to combine.
- Lastly, gently fold in rice krispies and chocolate chips or other additions.
- Press dough gently (so as not to crush the rice krispies!) into the pan.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes until light golden brown. Do not overbake.
- Carefully remove from the pan in one piece and use a pizza cutter to cut into bars or cut while in the pan (may wreck the non stick coating though!).
- Cool on a wire rack.