Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Adapted from the cookbook "The Secrets of Jesuit Breadmaking." Awesome bread, my family eats a lot of it in the fall and winter months and enjoy it particularly with Cock-a-leekie Soup (Cock-a-Leekie (Chicken and Leek Soup)).
- Mix 3/4 cup flour, the sugar, salt, oats, and yeast thoroughly.
- Milk butter in sauce pan. Add milk and water and heat till just warm.
- Add milk mixture to flour-oat mixture and beat for 5 minutes.
- Add egg and another 1/2 cup of flour and continue beating for another 5 minutes, adding more flour until bread pulls away from the side of the bowl.
- Turn bread out on a lightly floured surface and knead 8-10 minutes till smooth and elastic- adding flour as needed.
- Lightly spray a bowl with cooking spray, add dough. Lightly spray dough with cooking spray. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let it raise in a warm place till doubled in bulk (about 45 minutes).
- Punch down dough. Divide in two and roll out each half into an 8" circle.
- Spray two 8" round cake pans with cooking spray. Add dough (one to each pan) and with a knife gently score each loaf into 8 wedges (don't cut all the way through the dough).
- Lightly cover with plastic wrap (or a tea towel) and let rise until doubled in bulk (about 30 minutes).
- Bake at 375F for 20 minutes.