Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is my version of the one from Taste of Home, tweaked and retweaked to my idea of perfection.
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 1⁄2 cups skim milk
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 mashed ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325F and line muffin cups with paper liners.
- Stir together oats and milk in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and chocolate chips.
- In a large bowl, cream together shortening and sugar. Blend in bananas, eggs, vanilla and oat mixture.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and scoop batter into muffin cups.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until tester comes out clean.
These taste amazing. I'm having serious issues with texture though. The muffins are so moist that they fall apart. I'm not sure what happened. I did add another cup of chips, but I don't think that caused the problem. I will try these again, and add another half cup of flour to see if that fixes the problem. I got 48 mini muffins and 12 regular muffins. Thanks for posting!
I was looking for a recipe that called for alot of ripe banana's. I loved this recipe. I think it has been the best banana recipe I've tried. Everyone in the house liked them. I really think the quick oats and chocolate chips are the key! thanks