Recipe by RoseLynn
I originally found this recipe on SparkRecipes, but I've made a few adjustments. The milk, sugar, and flour can all be substituted for cow's milk or soy milk, splenda, and whole wheat or regular all purpose. I love the fact that there is no oil or butter needed with this recipe. These make an excellent snack or breakfast. Enjoy!
Top Review by Atomic Girl Cooks!
Originally made this as a way to use up some almond milk I had sitting around. This is definitely one of the better low-fat muffin recipes I've tried. They're flavourful and not as spongy as some low-fat muffins can be. I used apple cinnamon oatmeal and used apple pie spice instead of cinnamon. I might try adding chopped dried apples if I make them again.
- 1 cup instant oatmeal
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a bowl, mix together oatmeal, milk, applesauce, egg whites, and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, mix together sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry, do not overmix.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.