Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I originally found this recipe on SparkRecipes, but I've made a few adjustments. The milk, sugar, and flour can all be substituted for cow's milk or soy milk, splenda, and whole wheat or regular all purpose. I love the fact that there is no oil or butter needed with this recipe. These make an excellent snack or breakfast. Enjoy!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a bowl, mix together oatmeal, milk, applesauce, egg whites, and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, mix together sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry, do not overmix.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Originally made this as a way to use up some almond milk I had sitting around. This is definitely one of the better low-fat muffin recipes I've tried. They're flavourful and not as spongy as some low-fat muffins can be. I used apple cinnamon oatmeal and used apple pie spice instead of cinnamon. I might try adding chopped dried apples if I make them again.
Thank you for sharing these muffins. They are great. I was looking for something that was Lactose free and was very happy to find this recipe as I drink almond milk. They are very tasty and moist. I changed the recipe a bit. I used 9 grain organic flour and regular organic oatmeal the second time I made them and they still turned out great.