Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
These low fat, fruity scones are perfect for a special breakfast or brunch.
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup peeled chopped apple
- 1⁄4 cup skim milk
- 1⁄4 cup honey, plus
- 2 teaspoons honey, divided
- Combine first seven ingredients (flour through cinnamon) in large bowl.
- Add ½ cups applesauce and butter; cut in with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in cranberries and apple.
- In small bowl combine milk and ¼ cups honey; add to flour mixture and stir until dough forms ball.
- Knead dough 10-12 times on floured surface; pat into 8-inch circle and place on sprayed baking sheet.
- Use sharp knife to cut dough into 12 wedges, and separate wedges slightly.
- Combine remaining applesauce and honey, and brush over top of dough.
- Bake 12-15 minutes at 425 degrees, or until lightly browned; remove from baking sheet and cool on wire rack.
Everything turned out great! I used raisins in place of cranberries, and it turned out just wonderful. Also,I used an emulsifier for the applesauce-honey glaze, and that worked much better the second time around when I made these.
Very good scones. I doubled the cranberries and used 1 cup white flour and 1 cup whole-wheat. I had a hard time resisting the temptation to add orange zest or to use more cinnamon, but I'm glad I haven't, since they tasted great as written. Milk and honey were much easier to combine after microwaving together for about 20 seconds. My only complaint is about the applesauce-honey glaze, which hasn't worked very well. I would suggest just ignoring this step or just sprinkling some granulated sugar or dough .