Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Found this in Woman's Day, Aug. 1, 2007. Our beloved German Shepherd passed away July of 06. Saving this for a possible future dog... Recipe said 5 to 6 dozen, but that depends on the size of your cookie cutter.
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup apple, cored and minced (apple seeds are bad for dogs)
- 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon ground cloves
- Heat oven to 325°F.
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix thoroughly until combined to form dough.
- Roll out dough on floured surface to about 1/4 inch thickness.
- Using a cookie cutter, cut into shapes (bone shape suggested) until all the dough has been used.
- Place cookies on ungreased foil (or parchment paper) lined baking sheets. Bake 30-35 minutes.
These were quick and easy to make, and I tried them myself and thought they were pretty good. Sadly, my pooch didn't rave about them, so I guess they're all for me! Thanks for posting - I'm always looking for new healthy treats to tempt the RIDICULOUSLY picky palate of my furbaby :)