Prep 20 mins
Cook 13 mins
These delicious cookies are chock full of chewy yummy and mostly healthy ingredients. Enjoy!
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 cups quick oats (not instant or old fashioned)
- 1 cup peeled diced apple
- 3⁄4 cup raisins (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375° and grease cookie sheet.
- Combine shortening, sugar, egg, milk and vanilla in large bowl.
- Beat at medium speed until well blended.
- Combine flour, cinnamon, salt, soda and nutmeg in a small bowl and mix into creamed mixture at low speed until just blended.
- Stir in oats, apples, raisins and nuts.
- Drop rounded tablespoonfuls of dough about 2-inches apart onto prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake for 13 minutes or until just set.
- Cool for a minute or 2 on cookie sheets and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
These are absolutely divine! If you like Oatmeal cookies, you'll love these!!! DH doesn't really care for cooked raisins, so I left them out, but I think as well as he liked these, I'll give a few raisins a go too next time. I couldn't believe how fast these went. Within minutes after the first batch came out of the oven they were gone. They turned out soft and chewy. I used Granny Smith apples, my favorite for baking and the cookies weren't too sweet, nor the apples too tart. I thought everyone would have had their fill and I'd have some for DH's lunch tomorrow. NOT!!! Thanks for sharing a really great and healthy recipe Karen!
Amazing. Fluffy and on the lighter side. I loved these. I made one change though, I used half of the shortening and added a half a cup of unsweetened applesauce. Delicious and healthier too :) I didn't put raisins or nuts in it, which made the cookie lighter. I highly recommend using applesauce or apple butter!
10 Stars..I tried this recipe to avoid wasting some extra apples. What a wonderful surprise. These are GREAT! What a nice change from chocolate chip cookies. I exchanged the flour with whole grain flour which gave them a light but hearty texture. These did not last 24 hours. Next time I will add more diced apples and walnuts. Thanks!