Prep 15 mins
Cook 18 mins
These muffins are the bomb I eat them almost everyday in the morning with eggs or in the afternoon with a tablespoon of peanut butter but I use a product called Better Than Peanut Butter. It is great. They’re really big muffins and their low calorie and low fat.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1 1⁄4 cups dates
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
- 2 tablespoons light butter
- Preheat your oven to 400°.
- Lightly spoon flours into measuring cups. Combine flour sugar and next 3 ingredients. Make a well.
- Place buttermilk, egg and vanilla in a bowl and mix with a wire whisk.
- In a food processor put the whole dates 1 1/4 cups with the 2 tablespoon of canola oil. Blend until well chopped then put the dates into the buttermilk mixture and stir well. Then pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients well; stir just until combined.
- Spoon batter into 12 muffins cups coated with cooking spray.
- Mix packed brown sugar, quick cooking oats and butter together until crumbly (do this with you fingers it works a lot better). Sprinkle over your muffins.
- Bake for 18 minutes and let them cool 5 minutes in the pan on a wire rack--enjoy.