Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
These scones are so tender and delicious ( and good for you !!! ) ! If you prefer, serve them warm with orange marmelade instead of the orange glaze.
- 1 1⁄4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups oat flour
- 1⁄2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 7 tablespoons butter, chilled
- 1 large egg
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups golden raisins
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange zest, grated
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- Preheat oven to 375º F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flours, oats, sugars, baking powder and salt.
- With a fork or your fingers, cut the butter into the dry ingredients. Stir in raisins.
- Whisk together the egg, milk and vanilla.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the liquid all at once to the bowl. Lightly, mix with a fork only until the dough is evenly moistened; it will come together but still be a little wet.
- Scoop the dough by the generous tablespoon, placing the scones 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet. Wet your fingers and smooth out the tops a bit. Let them sit for 5 minutes to allow the oats to absorb the liquid.
- Bake until the tops and edges are light golden brown, 25 to 27 minutes.
- Remove the scones from the oven and cool on the pan on a rack for 15 minutes before transferring to a rack to cool completely.
- Glaze: Whisk together the ingredients in a small bowl until the glaze has no lumps. Brush over the tops of the cooled scones.