Prep 30 mins
Cook 55 mins
Another recipe from The Planet Organic Market Cookbook, this recipe is made with all organic ingredients; use organic where you can. From the recipe, "This crust is a treat unto itself and is much easier to make than a pastry pie crust."
- 118.29 ml almonds, whole
- 118.29 ml walnuts or 118.29 ml pecans, whole
- 236.59 ml rolled oats
- 118.29 ml unbleached flour
- 0.25 ml sea salt
- 44.37 ml canola oil or 44.37 ml butter, melted
- 44.37 ml maple syrup
- 14.79 ml water
- 14.79 ml vanilla extract
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 2. Bake the almonds and walnuts or pecans on separate baking sheets until they are fragrant and toasted: about 8 minutes for pecans or walnuts, 10 minutes for almonds. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool. Raise the oven temperature to 375°F.
- 3. Grind the oats in a blender or food processor until they become a coarse meal. Empty into a large mixing bowl.
- 4. Grind the almonds and walnuts or pecans into a coarse meal and add to the oats, along with the flour and salt.
- 5. In a small bowl, whip together the oil or butter, maple syrup, vanilla and water. Add to the oat-nut mixture and mix well. Allow the mixture to sit for 10 minutes in the refrigerator.
- 6. With cold, wet hands, press the crust mixture into a well- oiled tart or pie pan. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until barely golden brown.
- 7. Set aside to cool. Then add pie filling and bake for additional 30 to 35 minutes.
This was good. I used butter, and made a cherry pie filling, topped with a crumble topping. I doubt I'll make it again, but it was a fun experiment! Thanks for posting:)
This was a great crust - I did change a little I used coconut flour and put in a couple pretzels for the salt then put in a little cinnamon - great recipe thank you!!!