Recipe by pneumatic_sally
from Simply Vegan by Debra Wasserman. I suggest that you use a food processor if you have one. If you don't, you can try to blend the ingredients in small batches in your blender. Otherwise, it is really hard to get the oats to stay together. I always use a food processor for this, although the original recipe doesn't call for it or even suggest it.
Top Review by susnrob
I've made this recipe twice now. The first time I followed the recipe as stated, but after tasting the mix I added some seasoning to give it a bit more flavor. The second time I did things a bit differently. I toasted the nuts and ground them up a bit in my vitamix. I mixed together all of the dry ingredients first. I added some flax meal, salt, pepper and other dry seasonings to the dry mix. Then I ground up the carrots in my vitamix, finely chopped the celery and the onion and added some garlic (cooked in oil) to the mix in the bowl. I mixed all of that together and then added the water. I did need to add a bit more water because of the extra dry ingredients that I added.
- 2⁄3 cup rolled oats
- 2⁄3 cup chopped walnuts (or favorite nut)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1⁄4 cup whole wheat pastry flour or 1⁄4 cup unbleached flour
- 1⁄4 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the ingredients together and season to taste.
- Shape into 6 burgers (more or less depending on your tastes) and fry until brown, turning once.
- I like to throw the dry ingredients into a food processor for a more uniform texture.
- I also fry only what I need and keep the rest waiting for me in a tupperware for later.
- Garlic, salt and pepper are nice seasonings to add.
- NOTE: If you find that they are mushy inside, make your patties smaller or thinner. If you shape them too large or too thick then they won't cook right.