Recipe by HealthNutz
These are great for a healthy snack. Feel free to add any type of nuts, dried fruit, seeds, etc. The more dried fruit you add, the sweeter they will be (these bars are only lightly sweet).
Top Review by Bippie
Made for PAC Spring 2007. A little unclear on the directions. I used multi-bran flakes for the cereal. Step 2 has the cereal and trail mix in the processor at the same time, but then in step 3 the trail mix is added again? I used the Step 2 method. Also, in Step 3 there is brown sugar added and in Step 4 brown sugar is sprinkled on top. Is the brown sugar in Step 4 in addition to that in Step 3? I just used the Step 4 method as the honey seemed to make it sweet enough. Great bars that really held together after baking. The foil is a MUST! Thanks.
- 1 cup oats
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup puffed wheat cereal or 1⁄2 cup all-bran cereal
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup trail mix
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat 325 degrees F. Any type of baking pan is fine for these(9" square pan is ideal), just line with aluminum foil!
- Add cereal, and trail mix to a food processor, and chop coarsely. If you do not have a food processor, put in a plastic bag, and crush with a heavy object!
- Mix oats, flour, cereal, and cinnamon. Add the egg, applesauce, honey, brown sugar, and oil. Add trail mix.
- Spread mixture evenly on the pan, press down to flatten about 1 inch height, and shape. Sprinkle brown sugar on top.
- Bake about 25 minutes, the edges should be very lightly browned. Cool, and cut into desired shape!
- Note: these bars do not have a long shelf life after cooked, so store in fridge for best results.