Prep 9 hrs
Cook 0 mins
Here's a healthy cereal that most children love. You make it the night before and it's all ready in the AM with just a couple of additions
- 1 cup uncooked rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked rolled barley (, if you can't find rolled barley add another 1/2 cup rolled oats)
- 1 cup skim milk or 1 cup soymilk
- 1 tablespoon low-sugar apricot preserves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 2 tablespoons dried peaches, , chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped raw cashews (, or other nuts)
- In a bowl combine the oats, barley, milk, preserves, vanilla& honey.
- Cover bowl& refrigerate over night.
- Before serving put in raisins, peaches& nuts.
- Top with additional milk or yogurt.
YUMMY! I feel like Bergy's grand baby today:-) This recipe is THE BEST BREAKFAST in the world! I had alot of kitchen work to do today and I scaled this recipe down to 2 servings. I doubled the quantity of the raisins(used 2 tbsps for 2 servings), did not use dried peaches (as I did not have those on hand), substituted the cashews with walnuts, the apricot preserves with mixed fruit jam, the rolled barley with rolled oats and the vanilla extract with vanilla essence. I used skim milk as I am "fond" of that lately. Mixed up everything in a bowl and refrigerated for an hour. It was so tasty, so good, and most of all, it gave me the energy to stand for almost 4 hours at a stretch in the kitchen. THANK U, Bergy, this is GREAT!
I'm suprised I never reviewed this the first time I had it!! I'm not usually an oatmeal lover, but this is super! I think I like it most because it's not a hot cereal. I've used strawberry jam, dried apricots, raisins, cherries, you name it. You can mix up the ingredients and it always turns out great - thanks Bergy!!
Very good and a nice new addition to our breakfast menu. I used strawberry preserves and walnuts - it was great!